I will be posting quite a few projects in the next few weeks because I have been crocheting more than I have posted on this particular blog. The flip flops were so easy. I based the sandals on a pattern on a blog called Crochet Jewel.
See Crochet Jewel for detailed instructions.
I used cotton yarn because it breathes.
- Row 1 single crochet 80 stitches around the straps
- Row 2, starting at stitch 16, half double crochet, chain 1, skip 2 stitches, 8 half doubles and a chain one space on each side.turn
- Row 3: Sl st into the chain 1, Chain 3 (counts as dc and chain 1), *hdc in the next chain 1 space, chain 1, *Repeat that up and down both straps, chain 1, sl st in the next sc, Turn -16 hdc
- ( 1st adaptation – hdc decrease once in the middle in rows 3 ,4 and 5)
- Row 4: sl st in the chain 1, Chain 3 (counts as dc and chain 1), *hdc in the next chain 1 space, chain 1, *Repeat that up and down both straps, Chain 3, sl st in the next sc. Fasten off. Weave in the ends.
- ( 2nd change – add a 5th row, but do not chain between hdc stitches and decrease 1 hdc in the middle again.
- (3rd adaptation: Row 6- I then decided to sc all the way around for a smoother looking transition from the 16 skipped stitches to the hdc section.)